Monday, November 7, 2011

Imperial Battle


Dear Friends,


I have something very terrible to report. Today I did battle with Garlean Imperial Soldiers.

I was summoned by the Twin Adders to investigate possible Imperial activity deep within the Black Shroud. It seems a group on conjurers were sent on a mission to erect some magical wards in the forest when they came under attack. I was given the coordinates of their destination and asked to assist in any way possible.

When I arrived, the conjurers were nowhere to be found. Instead, I spotted a party of Imperial footsoldiers. I engaged them. Their willingness to take hostile action against me leads me to believe that these rumors of war are true. After all the Imperial activity I've seen lately, I no longer have a doubt as to their intentions.

I was victorious against them. Upon inspection, I found a strange letter sewed into the uniform of one of the men. I took it back to base where it was inspected. As it turns out, the solider carrying it was not Garlean, but rather from Ala Mhigo. While the cipher used in the note was unreadable, the conjurers in Gridania were able to sense that the content of the letter was not malicious, but actually honorable in it's intent. 

I was then tasked with taking the letter to a small Ala Mhigo refugee outpost in Thanalan. When I arrived, I presented the letter only to learn that the soldier I battled was not truly a Garlean, but rather an Ala Mhigo spy... Oh, I felt terrible! I killed an innocent man in the heat of battle.

I was assured that I had done no wrong. In fact, his identity was to remain a secret. The soldier's goal was to see the letter delivered at all costs, and I made sure that his mission was realized. Despite these reassurances, I now bear the weight of this guilt.

The test of the letter was as follows:

"Latest reports indicate Imperial Legatus Nael van Darnus has left eastern theatre. Joining forces on the western front. Changes made to invasion plans by high command. Fighting grows more fierce, imperial soldiers seem...changed. More savage, violent. New magitek devices deployed to strongholds on western front. Have been assigned to installation labor...

They force us to kill daily─something, anything. If only to keep us in the habit. They seek to make it a reflex in us. My grip on things is slowly slipping─on my faith...and my mind. I don't know who or what I am anymore. Darkness descends from all sides... Yet there at the center...there, brilliant, unwavering, and whole...my beacon, my lodestar...Ala Mhigo"

Included with the letter were design plans for some sort of Imperial Military device. I was asked to take the plans back to the headquarters of the Twin Adder.

Upon my return to base, the commanders were shocked to learn the letter carried such valuable information. The designs were to be provided immediately to the Garlond Ironworks for study.

As I was being debriefed a team of officers made their way through the company hall. They were walking with none other than the Ironwork's Master, Cid Garlond! What an honor to see such a legendary individual.

I was not able to hear all of their conversation, but what I did catch chilled me to the bone.

One of the men with Cid mentioned something to the extent of "Your hypothesis has proven to be correct, Master Cid."

To which Cid only grimaced and replied with a single word:  "Meteor..." With that, they walked away, out of earshot.

I shudder to think what he may mean. Such an innocent word, but yet, spoken with such dire resignation.

My friends, I fear that there are dark days ahead. This shroud of darkness is sure to claim the lives of many more innocent men. All I can do is try to ensure that I save more lives than I'm forced to take.



~Kiji



                                                                        Cid Garlond

No comments:

Post a Comment