Thursday, March 15, 2012

Into The Dark


Dear Friends,
I've had quite a productive time this week. I've been working for the Twin Adders full time lately. I was tasked with assisting the Knights of Ishgard with a "sweep and clear" operation in the Dzemael Darkhold.
The Darkhold is an underground cave formation that Ishgard's House of Dzemael was in the process of converting to a subterranean fortress. However, work was recently ceased due to sudden explosion in monster population. Recently, there have also been rumors of Imperial sightings in the Darkhold. Entry to the Darkhold is typically off limits to everyone, but I have been asked to form an exploratory team to validate the truth of these rumors.
We were warned on more than one occasion of the dangers that lurk deep in the hold. And let me tell you, the warnings were well founded. The Darkhold is home to some of the most savage horrors I have yet encountered. Monsters, giant frogs, ghosts, teams of undead soldiers. I shudder just thinking about it.
Throughout the hold I discovered several strategically placed magitek devices. These devices seems to have something to do with the sudden surge in monster population because once they were deactivated the monsters vanished before our eyes. Almost as if these devices were pulling them from some unknown location, through the aether into our world.
Midway through our expedition we encountered the den of giant fiery Ogre. Slaying this beast was no easy task. Attacking it from behind agitated the monster extremely and resulted in a devastating retaliatory attack. We were finally able to fell it by concentrating its attention on one individual and attacking from both sides when it wasn't looking.
Once we ventured further into the hold, we discovered an Imperial base. We made short work of the Imperials. I noticed one of them carried a relic similar to one I've seen on the Knights of Ishgard. I decided to take it not only as proof of our success, but to be inspected by the knights.
Even though our work was done, we decided to venture a little deeper. We came to a room that was lined with raw aether crystals. As beautiful as they were, we did not have time to sit by and admire them. It seems theat our presence roused the true master of this domain, as we were confronted by an enormous, how else to describe it other than: Demon. I think it was none-other than the legendary Batraal. I swear by the Twelve!
The monster summoned waves of undead knights to attack us. We made little headway before we decided to retreat. It was a bit more than we were prepared for to be honest. However, I plan to return again to finish the deed.
Upon reporting back, I provided the item I found for inspection. It seems that the worst scenario may be true. It was a knightly relic. This could possibly indicate that one of the Imperial soldiers we defeated was also a Knight of Ishgard. Such treachery! Spies seem to be everywhere... Is nothing sacred anymore?
Having proved my mettle in the Darkhold, I have been granted entry at will to explore further.
Back at the Adder's Nest, I was rewarded with not only a promotion to Serpent Corporal, but I was also awarded the Emerald Leaf for my commitment to the Grand Company.
I was immediately provided another task, but considering the late hour, I will write of it tomorrow after I have returned from the mission.

~Kiji

No comments:

Post a Comment