Friday, February 24, 2012

Imperial Peril


Dear Friends,

The situation with the resistance came to a boil today. Reports of Imperial activity in northern Mor Dhona have been come frequent and the resistance leader revealed his plan to storm an Imperial encampment in attempt to steal an airship. The plan is then to navigate the airship to Ala Mhigo and use it liberate the occupied city. As courageous as that plan may sound, it is indeed very risky. Not to mention an act of vengeance. I have been asked by the resistance leader to join the operation. Lady Minfilla advised the the choice was mine alone.

To be honest, I personally felt that the whole idea was poorly devised. I was about to announce my intentions to stay out of it until Aery rushed off to join them. The damned girl... I couldn't leave her alone to face such a dangerous situation so I too made my way for camp Revenant's Toll in Mor Dhona. The gathering point for the operation.

Upon my arrival, I find the camp under siege by the Garlean Empire. However, just as I was preparing to join the battle, the Imperial party flees for the mountains. I pursue them on foot and manage to catch them (thanks to my trusty Herme's Sandals)! However, it seems to be ambush... I follow the Imperials into a clearing where a flying Imperial Juggernaught swoops down from the sky and aims it's guns right for me! Oh dear!

I manage to escape it's payload just in the nick of time. It's attack falling on two of the Imperial soldiers instead. The Twelve, thank you for these quick shoes!! It is at this very moment that I catch sight of Aerylia and the resistance leader. We have little time to celebrate as we are approached by none other than Legatus Baelsar!  Just as menacing as he was in my visions, he declares his intention to destroy us once and for all.

Just then, those two mysterious characters, Papalymo and Yda (the ones that crashed into the hedge on my very first day in Gridania) appear with two other strangers. Together, the begin an assault on the Legatus. Everything happened so fast I can barely remember it... There was gunfire, flashes of magic... next, Baelsar seems to call a blast of fire down from the sky, resulting in the largest explosion I have ever seen...

Everything goes black. When I awake, I find myself in a cave. Everything seems so surreal. I see a group of neglected looking children huddled together. I try speaking to them, but they seem to be lost in their own little worlds. They mumble statements of malice toward Eorzea, and praise for the Empire. Before I can speak with them further, I hear approaching footsteps. I hide in the shadows and watch. An Imperial officer speaks to the children and fills their young minds with vile propaganda. It's a terrible sight... But apparently it was all a dream or a vision... The next thing I remember is hearing the sound of my name being called, and I wake up to find Aery leaning over me. She is elated to see that I am alive.

Papalymo stands next to her, as mysterious as always. It seems that he was able to stave off the Imperial Legatus with the help of his strange friends. He explains that this should be a lesson to me. He suggests that I am not yet ready to do battle against the Empire. His advice to wait until the proper time. This angers Aerylia. She lashes back at him claiming that we cannot simply sit by and do nothing. Through her emotions, the truth is finally revealed. She is from Ala Mhigo. Her hatred towards the empire was forged to an edge when her city was invaded as a yong child. It all makes sense now.Her rage is amplified by the admission of failure stated by the resistance. They have decided that what little rewards they have gained through their operations has been overshadowed by the loss of life they have suffered. There is talk of disbanding their organization. It is a sad moment of clarity... the Empire seems to be nearly unstoppable.

Papalymo tells us that we are blessed with a power we do not yet understand. And until the time that we do, we should exercise caution and patience. As Papalymo leaves, Aery and I decide to head back to the Merchant Wards to advise Minfillia of what we have learned.

Minfillia shared his assessment of the situation. She feels that until the nations of Erozea are able to match the strength of the Empire, we should suspend all offensive operations. (Thank god the Grand Companies get stronger by the day). She still feels that if we could align ourselves with the beast-tribes, we would have a fighting chance, but even that is not looking so good these days....

Friends. I hate to sound so grim. But I truly feels that an part of my life has just come to a conclusion. As we stand today. We are no match for the Garlean Empire.

That being said, From this day forward, I commit myself to the Grand Company of the Twin Adders. With the sole purpose of doing all I can to make Erozea stronger and ready to tackle the dark days ahead. Regardless of the what the Empire may throw at us, be it soldiers, Magitek, or even Meteor. I will do all in my power to uphold the honor and defense of Erozea.

~Kiji

No comments:

Post a Comment