Sunday, September 26, 2010

Learning the ropes


Dear Friends,

Things are starting to settle down. Well, as settled as they can be when you're an adventurer. That's right, I said it, I'm an adventurer! How did that happen? It's quite simple really. I learned quickly that if I wanted to procure the supplies I need for my Alchemy experiments, I'd need a steady supply of gil. 
There's lots of gil to be made in Gridania, that's for sure. And with more adventurers filtering in every day there's ample opportunity to earn my share. These fighter-types (of which I have somehow found myself teaming up with - but more on that later) have a great need for things like leather, metal, and a variety of other materials. They are more than willing to part with their hard earned gil to acquire the items they need.

I found myself contemplating this over a drink at the Canopy, when I was approached by a fellow Lalafell. He introduced himself as "Pinot"and asked if he could join me for a bit. It seems he has also recently ventured into town. Pinot proposed a plan in which he would organize a Linkshell of like-minded people that could work together and help each other get started in this vast new world that lay before us. Before I knew it, I was an officer in a linkshell organization! 

The linkshell is currently 8 members-strong, so we are a very tight group. We've decided to try our hand at undertaking some of those Guildleves that adventurers find so popular. Leves are little plates of stained-crystal. Each has a mural representing one of the saints. Leves distributed by the Adventurer's Guild as a way to both employ aspiring adventurers and provide services for the common good. For example, one of our first levequests involved clearing out an infestation of moles near Camp Bentbranch just outside of town. This means the lot of us equipped our weapons (still sounds weird to say that...) and headed out to hunt down the beasts. As of today, I've undertaken several battlecraft-style guildleves and I'm becoming quite adept with my axe. I'm like a regular Marauder, if I do say so myself. In fact, I'm considering trying my hand at a variety of weapons. One can never be too prepared.

Needless to say, after a day or two of adventuring around Camp Bentbranch. I found my pockets filled with more gil and spoils than I've ever had before! I was able to purchase some more alchemy materials and spent a little quiet-time in market wards practicing my art. I'm definitely learning more every time I sit down to work. Although, I admit I've taken it rather easy so far- I've fallen back on the relatively flawless practice of distilling dirty water. Haha! But it pays off, as there are many culinarians and would-be-chefs around who need clean water to prepare their dishes.

On a similar note, I somehow found myself drafted to go with some linkshell members on a mining expedition. Fancy that! Me with a pickaxe digging for precious rocks! Well, I just might surprise you. I've managed to dig up some decent ores. It's defiantly a hobby I can fall back on in hard times. The same goes for fishing. A young Miqo'te was in the market ward making quite a fuss over the lack of fresh fish for sale. She was offering top-gil for 2 simple trout. Why she just didn't pick up a rod and get them for herself if beyond me. I was quite happy to spend a few minutes fishing them up and collecting her reward. Haha!



~Kiji

No comments:

Post a Comment